The Governing Body
Governing Board of Belbroughton School
The school is a Church of England Voluntary Controlled school. Under the current Instrument of Government there are 12 Governor’s positions:
3 Parents Governors
1 Nominated by the Local Authority
1 Staff Governor
3 Foundation Governors
3 Co-Opted Governors
The current governors are listed in the Governor Register.
A copy of the Register can be found here.
Attendance records for The Governing Body 2021-2022 can be found here.
Attendance records for the Sub Committee 2021-2022 can be found here.
Attendance records for The Governing Body 2020-2021 can be found here.
Attendance records for the Sub Committee 2020-2021 can be found here.
Attendance records for The Governing Body 2019-2020 can be found here.
Attendance records for The Sub Committee 2019-2020 can be found here.
The Governors Academic calendar can be found here
The Role of the Governing Body
The purpose of the Governing Body is to provide strategic oversight of the school to ensure that it provides the best possible education for all of its pupils.
The key responsibilities of Belbroughton’s Governing Body are:
Acting Strategically, setting the schools direction by:
- Setting the school’s strategic framework including setting the vision, values and aims for the school
- Agree the strategic priorities, aims and objectives and for the school
- Sign off policies, plans and targets
- Exercising powers and duties ensuring that the school meets its statutory duties
- Monitor progress against the agreed strategic objectives
Monitor and Evaluate the work of the school by:
- Supporting and challenging the work of the school by asking the correct questions in relation to
- - Pupil and school performance
- - Quality of teaching
- - Pupil well being
- - Parental satisfaction
- - Knowing the strengths and weakness of the school through reports, meetings and governor visits
Managing Accountability by:
- Supporting and strengthening the Headteacher’s leadership of the school
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure that money is well spent
- Being accountable as a governor to the broader Community to ensure that the school strives for the highest standards of educational achievement for all pupils
The Headteacher is responsible for the internal organisation, management and control of the school and implementation of the strategies established by the Governing Board.
Governance in Practice
The objectives outlined above are achieved through a number of processes including
- Meeting of Full Governing Body ( termly)
- Meeting of Sub Committees ( termly) which are
- o Teaching and Learning
- o Finance
- o Premises
- Governor Monitoring Visits
- Monitoring performance of the Headteacher
Further information on when these activities take place can be seen in the Governor Timetable on the website.
Initial oversight and management of the annual budget drawn up by the school; Ensures the school maintains an appropriate system of internal financial control; Agrees priorities for revenue and capital funding.
The Chairperson is Gary Booth
Teaching and Learning Committee
Ensures the school offers a broad and balanced curriculum in accordance with the National Curriculum; Reviews school performance data and ensures lessons learnt are addressed
The Chairperson is Tony Carey.
Oversight of the management and maintenance of the school premises; Reviews proposals for capital projects and ensures best practice in procurement and implementation of works; Provides advice and guidance on premises maintenance issues; Lead responsibility for Health & Safety and monitoring of associated statutory requirements (e.g. Fire safety, Legionella etc.).
The Chairperson is Glynn Ashman.
Areas of Specific Responsibility
In addition to the committees detailed above, there are lead governors to provide focused support and oversight for specific areas.
Health & Safety
Special Education Needs
Religious Education & Collective Worship
Contacting the Governors
Should you have any questions about the governance of our school please do not hesitate to contact us by emailing email@example.com